Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 5- to 6-inch diameter corn tortillas (or equivalent tortilla chips)
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
2 cups water (or just more broth)
3/4 cup canned Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with juices
1 bay leaf
1 (or more - I usually use 3 or so) garlic clove, pressed
1 medium onion
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
12 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips (or leftover shredded chicken of some kind)
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
~2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Optional:
1/2 Can of beans (I use black)
Corn (fresh or frozen)
Can of diced green chiles
Cheese
Sour Cream
Tortilla chips


Brown chopped onions. Add broth, water, tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, cumin and red pepper in saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. (Here, I usually add a can of diced chiles and torn up tortillas or chips. Then I blend the whole pot with a hand blender. That's optional, but if you're not going to blend, break / tear up the tortillas pretty small) Add chicken (and beans and corn if you're using them); simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in green onions, cilantro and lime juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: