Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Carolina Cole Slaw

from epicurious:

1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 medium cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds), thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced

Combine vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard and celery seeds in nonaluminum medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and dressing comes to boil. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.

Combine cabbage, onion and green pepper in large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate until cold, tossing occasionally, at least 2 hours. (Can be made
1 day ahead. Cover; keep refrigerated.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kate,
i've been craving a good coleslaw recipe. i'll give this one a try. thanks for the tip.
hope all is well out west. it sounds like a lovely, busy summer based on blog-reports.
xx,
jasmine

Kate said...

Hi Jasmine! Hope this is what you're looking for - I made it with pulled pork for Tom's last birthday and he said that it tasted authentic. Of course, I grew up in Denver so I'm not really an authority. But all our friends (even the non-coleslaw eaters) snarfed it.

Julia B said...

I love that you created a food recipe blog! I have been craving good coleslaw too. I am going home in August so I'll make sure to do a side-by-side comparison.